- This event has passed.
Global Game Jam 2017
20. January 2017 @ 15:30 - 22. January 2017 @ 18:00Free
Day 1 – Arrival
- 15:00-19:00: Check in
- 15:30-16:15: Tech Keynote by Rarebyte
- 16:15-17:00: Design Keynote by Bongfish
- 17.00-17.30: Game Jam Announcements & GGJ Keynote + Topic
- 17.30-18.00: Group Forming & Pitches
- 18.00-23.59: Work on projects
Day 2 – Work
- 09.00-24.00: Work on projects
- 11:00 Deadline to create user profile and game page
- 18:00-19:00: Playtesting each other’s games
Day 3 – Work
- 09.00-15.00: Work on projects
- 15.00-16.00: Upload games by 15.00
- 16.30-19.00: Presentations – Each team has 10 minutes to do a short presentation
WHAT IS A GAME JAM?
“Jam” is a reference to musician jam sessions, not traffic or spreadable fruit.
The goal is to come together and make a video game, or non-digital game like a board game or card game. Participants rapidly prototype game designs and hopefully inject new ideas to help grow the game industry. We share a common theme and constraints. We ask participants to create a game from beginning to end in a prescribed time (maximum of 48 hours). The brief time span is meant to help encourage creative thinking to result in small but innovative and experimental games.
DO I NEED TO COME TO GGJ WITH A TEAM ALREADY FORMED?
Do not come to the Jam with a team. Ideally everyone forms teams on the Friday, and get the chance to work with a new collaborator or few! You will have some time to think and pitch an idea. Make new friends or jam with peers you admire.
DO I NEED SPECIAL SKILLS TO PARTICIPATE IN THE GGJ?
Although having computer skills is helpful, experience is not necessary. Designers, developers, artists and anyone is welcome to try their hand at making a game during the GGJ. Even if you have no experience at all, you can still participate by contributing ideas, playtesting, and giving moral support to your team. You could work on a non-digital game, and then there’s no need for code!
Global Game Jam® encourages innovation, experimentation and collaboration and encourages both digital and non-digital forms of game making. Global Game Jam® supports safe space events and likes to encourage everyone to make games!
IS THE GGJ ONLY FOR PROFESSIONALS?
No. Everyone is welcome. Check with your local site for any age restrictions.